The coverage of the Royal Wedding and the interest in the World Snooker Championship proved too much for the BBC Online services as there website buckled under the pressure.
The BBC did make a statement that they had received some technical issues, and were working towards a resolution. The online service could not handle the sheer weight of traffic. Many entertainment experts feel that the Wedding specifically was the media event of the century.
The crippled website resulted in putting up a holding page informing users that the service was not presently available. As a result, many comments were left on Twitter, stating their disappointment and many sarcastic comments regarding timing.
What we may be highlighting is that professional and commercial websites can’t compete against demand. When there is a new concert tour released, the websites hosting the tickets also collapse. As we walk further into this online world with more Wi-Fi points and theconstant requirement for faster broadband, online demand is going to increase and will our sites be ready?
Blog Posts Calendar
- Is the Internet going to be the television replacement?
- Google to Launch Cloud-based Music Service
- Skype is in demand but not from members or users.
- You may have the content right, perfect images and a great customer journey on your site, but is it quick enough?
- 4.3.3 is available for download, now Apple can’t track you…(for as long!)